Mount Union crushes Everett, 63-14 | News, Sports, Jobs

EVERETT — Mount Union took control from its first possession and never looked back, securing a 63-14 win over winless Everett in an Inter-County Conference football game Friday.

“The team keeps getting better each week,” Mount Union coach Anthony Sottasante said. “We went out tonight and executed on both sides of the ball. The team played hard all night and did what they had to do.”

The Warriors received the opening kickoff and fumbled with Xavier Peck covering the ball for the Trojans. Mount Union marched downfield on a couple long passes, getting to the 1-yard line with Je’saun Robinson punching it in at 6:34. The two-point try failed.

Everett punted on the next series and the Trojans offense again executed and at 3:40 Bryce Danish hit Robinson with a 66-yard bomb for the Trojans’ second score, ending the quarter up 14-0 after Danish ran it in for two points.

Less than a minute into the second quarter Everett was backed up by the Trojan defense and fumbled in the end zone with Hunter Steel recovering for a Trojan touchdown. The Warriors stalled on the next series and the Trojans continued to move the ball. At 6:58 Danish hit Quartey Williams from eight yards out for a touchdown.

Mount Unions’ defense continued to dominate and put the ball back into the hands of the offense, and with 2:35 to go before the break the Trojans moved the ball to the three-yard line and Josh Ryan carried it in for the score. The Warriors seem to have got a drive going late in the quarter only to fumble again; Steele picked up his second fumble of the game and Ryan carried the ball 46 yards for a Trojan touchdown with 1:23 on the clock.

Everett still managed to score in the first half when Ian Klahre hit Dillen Bell on a 34-yard pass, but the Trojans were not finished. The clock showed nine seconds when Danish busted lose on the right side going 63-yards for a score and kicked the point after to go into the half with Mount Union leading 48-7.

The third quarter went almost as the mercy clock was running and the Trojans ate eight minutes off the clock before they scored on a 32-yard pass from Danish to Williams, making the score 55-7 going into the fourth quarter.

The Trojans went to the bench and the Warriors started to drive, getting inside the 30-yard line before Braylan Knable picked off a Klahre pass at the 1-yard line and returned the interception 99-yards for a touchdown.

Everett scored his second touchdown with 16 seconds on the clock.

Mount Union (4-2) is back on the road Oct. 7 taking on Bellwood-Antis.

Today’s breaking news and more in your inbox